Wednesday 21 March 2012

Delirium - Lauren Oliver





Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.



Title: Delirium (Delirium #1)
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (UK) | Harper Teen (US)
Publication Date: February 2011
 Pages: 441 Pages 
Genre: Science Fiction Young Adult
Rating: 



Delirium - Lauren Oliver


This dystopian world (which seems to be the Trending Genre at the moment, some dystopian books - Matched, The Hunger Games and Uglies) Lauren Oliver creates has left me breathless. A world where Love is classed as a disease or what they call ‘Amor deliria nervosa’ and scientist have found a ‘cure’ for it which people have to have a procedure once they’re 18.  I was fascinated and intrigued by this.

The story follows 17 year old Lena, who has ninety-five days till her procedure, can’t wait to have her procedure and be cured of the long feared disease. But then she meets Alex.

Alex is an AMAZING person. He is courageous and caring with a damaged background and his attitude to life is so wonderful.  He opens Lena’s eyes to a whole new world. I admired him and after reading this book I am TEAM ALEX.  Lena and Alex’s relationship is emotional and passionate one and this makes us love the couple even more. Their relationship is the leading feature in the story. Their relationship kind of weaves the story together.

The Ending.  Wow. The ending left me speechless and yet gasping for more. It really sparkles when Lauren Oliver finishes the story with a heart aching cliff-hanger.  I cannot wait for the next book and have set my expectation even higher.

I LOVED this book. Lauren Oliver’s writing is beautiful.  So descriptive and detailed and the characters she creates are amazing.  Also I loved the quotes at the beginning of the chapter which gave us abit more insight of this Dystopian world. She’s written Before I Fall which is also an incredible book and is one of my Fav books also with Delirium. There has been gigantic praise of Delirium and has exceeded my expectation.



2 comments:

  1. I read this one recently as well and I loved it. I can't wait to read the next one in this series. I'll probably wait as long as I can though. I want the wait time in between books to be as short as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I loved reading Delirium and I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book. Lauren Oliver left us on a breath taking cliff hanger.

    ReplyDelete